Last year the government finally admitted it was wrong about cholesterol when the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee released its new recommendations:
“Available evidence shows no appreciable relationship between consumption of dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol.”
Not only that …
“Cholesterol is not a nutrient of concern for overconsumption.”
And the evidence just keeps piling up that cholesterol has been vilified for far too long.
The latest study [R], just published in BMJ (formerly the British Medical Journal), questions the established view that high cholesterol is always a bad thing.
Researchers looked at the relationship between serum LDL-cholesterol and mortality in studies of people aged 60 and older.
The 60-and-older set is an important focus group. That’s because this is generally the age when someone would be prescribed “statins” and other medications designed to lower cholesterol.
Related story: A delicious, natural way to lower your cholesterol
The authors of the study said …
“We identified 19 cohort studies including 30 cohorts with a total of 68,094 elderly people, where all-cause mortality was recorded in 28 cohorts and CV mortality in 9 cohorts. Inverse association between all-cause mortality and LDL-C was seen in 16 cohorts (in 14 with statistical significance) representing 92% of the number of participants, where this association was recorded.
“In the rest, no association was found between elevated cholesterol levels and mortality. In two cohorts, CV mortality was highest in the lowest LDL-C quartile and with statistical significance; in seven cohorts, no association was found.”
In other words …
In a population without pre-existing disease, higher LDL-cholesterol predicts a lower risk of death in those over 60. But it does not predict an increased risk of death from heart disease or stroke.
High LDL cholesterol isn’t a problem in normal older people — unless it’s low!
In case you missed it, I’ve previously written about this cholesterol myth.
However, before you refer back to it, let’s look at some of the most important things you should know about cholesterol …
First, remember that the diet-heart hypothesis, the archaic and now-refuted theory, says dietary cholesterol and saturated fats raise the cholesterol in our blood.
Yet, most of the research for this was based on studies from 40 to 50 years ago … studies that have since been debunked.
In other words, the government was late to the party as usual.
And thanks to Big Pharma and the mainstream media, the truth never fully reached the public — until now.
Here’s a truth you need to know about your own body …
From day to day, we have between 1,000 and 1,700 milligrams of cholesterol in our bodies.
But most people don’t realize that their liver actually produces the majority of cholesterol in their body.
That’s right! The liver produces 75% of our cholesterol and the other 25% comes from our diet.
This important fact holds the key to understanding cholesterol.
Being mindful about the types of food we eat is always a good idea.
But it’s also important to realize that the body naturally regulates the amount of cholesterol in it at any given time:
When we ingest more cholesterol from food, the body produces less.
When our cholesterol intake is low, the body makes more.
Therefore, dietary cholesterol has virtually no effect on our blood cholesterol levels.
However, it is possible to consume too little cholesterol.
In fact, avoiding cholesterol in your diet is actually more harmful to your health than helpful!
A 2009 study showed that dietary cholesterol had very little impact on blood cholesterol levels in about 75% of the population.
The other 25% were considered hyper-responders.” That is, there appeared to be a connection between high cholesterol consumption and high levels of cholesterol in the blood.
But that wasn’t necessarily bad news.
Even among the hyper-responders in which both LDL and HDL were increased, the ratio was unaffected and did not increase the risk of heart disease.
As Ancel Keys, who is considered the “father” of the diet-heart hypothesis, said in 1997:
“There’s no connection whatsoever between the cholesterol in food and cholesterol in the blood. And we’ve known that all along. Cholesterol in the diet doesn’t matter at all unless you happen to be a chicken or a rabbit.”
I hope you enjoyed today’s article and learning more about the truth of cholesterol.
Happy and healthy investing,